Monday, September 29, 2014

Week 7 Reading Diary: Nigerian Unit

This week I decided to read the Un-Textbook Unit: Nigerian Folk Stories.  At first, I wanted to read one of the Japanese mythology units, but when I saw that this section had stories with elephants in them I was sold!  Below are my notes from this unit: 

I absolutely loved this story! I like how there was a definite beginning, climax, and end of this story.  I enjoyed that the audience was given all aspects of the story, and readers weren’t left wondering what happened to any particular character.  As I’ve stated before I always enjoy when a story explains why “so and so does such and such.”  This was a great interpretation to why the bat only comes out at night. 

All I can say is WOW!  I love the theme in this story where the daughter learns a lesson in which she must obey her parent’s wishes.  I think that the story is crazy, in a sense, regarding the extent that Afiong had to go before she learned that she was in trouble.  I enjoyed the end of the story where one has to be reminded that although someone can be a beautiful human being, what he or she holds inside may be very ugly. 

I found this story very strange that a King would want to marry the daughter of an animal.  I also feel that it must have been very difficult for the King to love and keep up with all two hundred and fifty of his former wives.  I almost wonder if this is a story to teach children, or anyone, consequences regarding bestiality. 

This was definitely one of my favorite stories.  I thought that the Leopard handled the situation between the fish and his wife very well.  I think that any other animal would have killed the fish, but the Leopard decided that it was the King’s job and asked for his help.  I think that this story had an interesting take on why fish inhabit the sea. 

 (Leopard)

This has to be my absolute favorite story, although it is very gruesome indeed.  The tortoise’s actions were very graphic, in that he decided to gouge out the eyes of the elephant.  I can say, though, that I am glad that the elephant’s eyes are not proportional to their large heads today. 

 

This story was very interesting on a take on why the sun and moon are in the sky. I think that the fact the sun and the moon are married was very interesting, and why they are in the sky together.  When the water was filling the sun’s home, I was beginning to get confused on how it began to “level with the top of man’s head” etc.  I was wondering where the men came from and why they were either not burnt by the sun or drowned by the water.  I think I am inferring to much on the facts of this story, but nonetheless I did enjoy the tale and the Nigerian culture’s take on why the sun and moon are in the sky. 

Once again, I love reading stories to how and why nature works the way it does.  I think that it is comical that the thunder is an old mother sheep, and the lightening is her son, a ram.  This story explains the destructive nature of lightening, and why we hear the noisiness of thunder (the old mother sheep getting onto the ram). 

 

I feel bad for the dog in this story.  I don’t think that Creator should have entrusted his important message to a dog and the sheep, or that he should have not sent the dog on his journey without out food substances prepared to refresh his mind.  I think for the sake of possible overpopulation, the sheep getting his message to the people was essential.  If we had the dead coming back to life all the time, reproduction would become a problem fairly quickly. 


The initial reason to why the Moon waxes and wanes made sense, concerning the old woman eating, but when she decides to stay in the sky permanently I became confused.  On a side note I felt bad for the old woman, because if she was not left in the bush to starve she wouldn’t have taken the Moon’s meat.  Instead of attacking, and scaring the Moon, the people could have handled the situation differently and just helped her with food. 

No comments:

Post a Comment