Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Week 6 Reading Diary: Filipino Tales

For this week I chose to read the Unit: Filipino Popular Tales.  I thought that I would maybe come across that I could have heard while growing up, but to my surprise I didn't recognize any of the tales!  Nonetheless, I enjoyed all of the stories and found them interesting.  Below are my  notes from my favorite stories.

The Three Friends: This was one of my favorite stories.  I'm not sure why the three animals didn't think to make the food when they are all three together, then bring it with them while they hunt, but I guess that would change the whole story.  I wish the story had a picture of the Buñgisñgis, but there probably aren't any out there (I'll google it after I'm done with this assignment).  Monkey's are known to be smart and cunning animals, and I like how this story made note of this fact.

The Clever Husband and Wife: In this story I thought how fortunate, for the man, that the physician was such a kind hearted soul.  I think I have heard something similar to this story in the past, but I am unsure what it was exactly.  I do not like how greedy and lazy the husband and wife are, I don't see why they had not just asked for payment in return for them keeping up the physician's home.

Chonguita:  At this point I began to notice the themes of using monkeys in many of theses stories.  I wonder if this is because the Philippines is dense with jungle life and there are so many of them.  Since the monkey's could speak and interact very easily with man, I wonder if they were humans before and just cursed?  Maybe Chonguita was their only hope in returning to humans again?  This would be a great start to a story re-telling...

Cochinango: I am also starting to notice a reoccurring theme where kings are reigning over the land. This makes me wonder if this was how the Filipino culture was back in ancient times?  Now the country is run as a democracy, and this is the only way I know of.  That is something good to do some research on.  Cochinango is very cunning, although he was known as a fool, and he was very blessed indeed by God.

The Poor Man and his Three Sons:  This story, and many before it, also have a reoccurring theme where a father, farmer, or son grows up poor. I can understand this because although the Philippines is full of opportunity, there is a big part of the country who do not have access to it.  I like how father had a plan to provide for his sons, and make sure they were able to survive, under the conditions that they use the tools given to them wisely.

The Monkeys and the Dragon-Flies:  I liked this story and how it made a point that although you are bigger than someone, or something, it does not necessarily mean you will defeat them in battle.  There are times that being clever, and coming up with a strategy, is better than being irrational and acting on raw and unprocessed emotions.

Why Mosquitoes Hum and Try to get into the Holes of our Ears: I felt that this story was silly, and was only made up because someone was thinking about mosquitoes, but overall I love to learn how each culture interprets certain things.  I think that it is funny how supposedly mosquitoes view our ears a little holes in the ground.  It makes me wonder on why they don't actually go into our ears?  Not that I would want one to, I couldn't imagine being bitten in the ear and trying to soothe the itch!

The Greedy Crow: For this story I enjoyed the moral at the end above everything else ("Do not be greedy. Be contented with what you have, and do not wish for what you do not own.").  This, again, plays into the theme that although one may be bigger, does not mean that they will automatically win the battle or whatever is going on.

Why the Sun Shines more Brightly than the Moon:  I did like that in the end of this story the mean sister was punished, but I felt that it was also very unfair that the good sister was served the same punishment.  It think that it's interesting that the narrator chose to use diamonds as the source of the sun and moon.

Why the Cow’s Skin is Loose:  I think this story was also silly, and I like how the author interpreted the skin of the animals as "clothes."  The ending of this story makes me wonder what had caused the cow and carabao to completely separate, never to see each other again, and make them unable to re-exchange their clothing.

The Lost Necklace:  This was about the only story that did not cause me to have questions in the end, and the plot gave reason to everything that had happened.  I think that it is interesting that the hen, and her descendants, are forced to search for the necklace from now on and how the poor chicks will be snatched up and eaten by the crow.

BathalaDiwataPhilippinemythology.jpg
(The mythical creature Balthala, Wikipedia)

Cuttlefish and Squids: I like this story and it's "creation-like" feel to it.  I like how it gives explanation to why squids and cuttlefish carry around black ink.  I'm surprised that the cuttlefish and squid were bold enough to talk back to Balthala.  I am surprised that they kept defying him, and didn't consider being punished in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment