Monday, September 8, 2014

Week 4 Storytelling: The Journey of the Sun God


When the great god Ra decided that his time amongst the humans would cease, he determined that he would embark on a never ending journey that would allow him to keep tabs on all that he created.  He knew that his travel would be done through a river, his preference, and without telling anyone he traveled to the banks of the Nile alone.  There he chose the largest and most magnificent tree that he could find.  From this specimen he spoke magic words, and in an instant two barques were formed which he then merged into one magnificent structure. These boats we twins called Mesektet and Mandjet, and they were entrusted with carrying Ra as he journeys through the sky and Duat.  This is my brother and I, and we are sort of an alter ego of each other.  At the moment  I am Manjet, and I can tell you traveling through the sky provides a magical view, but we must always be alert of Apep and his followers.

(Moment of Creation, Wikipedia)

My favorite part of our journey is the beginning.  At the twelfth hour-division Nut lifts myself, my master, and his companions up into sky.  The radiant light master emits is vital to all earthly life, and allows them to plan their activities according to how much light is out at any given time.  This goes on until we have lifted up into the hour of high noon, which is a dam, and this is our highest decent.  We stay here for an hour in order to overlook the kingdom and make sure the Pharoh has kept everything in order.  At first hour-division the great wall is opened, and we began to travel downstream leisurely towards darkness and the underworld. During the eventide master eventually transforms into Tum, and it is my and his fellow gods job to protect him.  As the demons of the dark begin to approach my edges, the magic in the faithful priests prayers begin to take hold.  They are so strong they don't dare to come closer than fifty feet, or they will be vanquished to Daut forever (at least out here they are free to roam).  

During the fifth hour-division I begin the transformation into Mesektet.  During this time danger is the greatest for Sokar despises the light just as much as Apep.  Once we reach the seventh hour-division we meet with Orsis, and master takes into account all the souls of the dead.  They combine into one entity and judge whether the souls have paid the price of their sins, set free, or if they should remain in the underworld longer.  The worst of the worst have the saddest fate for serpents are released upon them for torture or to be devoured.  This is my master's choice of punishment for he once experienced the pain of the serpents fatal bite.  When all work is completed Orsis and master split back into two deities, and master so weary from his work is at his frailest.  At this time so much magic has been used that Apep attacks while master and his companions rejuvenate.  At this time my walls are the only thing that keep everyone free of Apep's constricting grip.  Time passes until the eighth division, in which Isis has regained enough strength to repel Apep and fix any of my damages.  
(Ra in Daut (the Underworld), Wikipedia)

At the eleventh hour-division is almost time for master's rebirth, and Horus proceeds to light a great beacon which expels any remaining demons or enemies that lurk into the dark.  Within the next hour, the twelfth hour-division, we have arrived to the serpent named "Divine Life."  Master steps off my surface and enters the tail of the great beast.  He exits in the form of a babe, and at this point we have reached the Western Gates where Isis and Nepthys greet us.  As I and the remaining gods enter the gates with my reborn master, we are all reborn as well.  Nut receives us, and we are again lifted into the Sky's and this is now the new dawn.  As the doors of the Western Gates are shut, they leave "Divine Life" and the souls of the underworld left on the other side.  You can hear the souls of the sinners cry out in anguish, and those who have been absolved of theirs are reborn to human parents to enjoy life once again.  

This is the journey that I take everyday with my master and his companions, and I wouldn't have it any other way.  Although I am only a barque, and I cannot communicate with anyone, I feel as if I also play an important role of mankind. I carry the sun which nurtures their plants, warms their waters, and provides them with light to carry out their daily activities. I'm sure that Ra could create another or a million boats just like me, but this won't keep me from feeling special.

Author's Note:
For this week I had decided to read and write over Ancient Egypt, and its deities. It was fascinating how the Egyptians viewed the suns many phases as symbolic of Ra's journey through their time/world and the underworld.  I decided to use the perception of his boat since it had the ability to see all, played an important part in Ra's journey, but didn't interfere with any of the sun gods decisions or actions.  There are parts that I kept the same, and others where I added some details so it would make more sense.  When I originally read the story I was was easily lost and confused. At first this irritated me, but in the end I used it to my advantage so I could change up the story as I pleased.

Bibliography:
Book title: Egyptian Myth and Legend
Author: Donald Mackenzie
Year Published: 1907
Web Source: Sacred Text Archives

2 comments:

  1. Liza,
    I also really like to take advantage of stories that are confusing and change them up a bit! It is also nice for us who get to read it because you can take some of the confusion out and add whatever you like! I have not read the original story, but I think you did a really good job. If I did not know any better I would think this was the original story because of the way you wrote it. I also really liked your pictures throughout the story because they stay true to the theme of the story so well. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not read the original story, but I think you did a good job. The many Egyptian gods and deities are very confusing to me, so I can see how the stories can be that way too. I liked the writing style that you used in a first person type of way. This is the first storytelling story that I have read from this specific style and viewpoint.

    ReplyDelete