Thursday, October 16, 2014

Week 9 Storytelling: Dirty-Boy

Dear Diary:
Today there was an attack on the harbor and many of the stationed soldiers were injured.  Since our nursing school is close by, and my class is advanced in our studies, the government contacted us for volunteer help.  Father was worried, but I assured him that I would be fine.  Oh diary, he will not stop pressing me to marry.  You already know that he was uncomfortable with me going to nursing school, considering his old-timely ways, and that he believes that a woman belongs at home tending to her husband.  Well, he got part of his wish considering I am a nurse and tending to people is part of the job. 

Dear Diary:
While I was out volunteering today I met a strange and badly injured soldier.  None of the other nurses would tend to him, due to how extreme his wounds, so I made a decision to make sure and check on him regularly.  Many of the girls came up with the nickname “Dirty-boy” because his otherwise scruffily appearance. I didn’t mind though, and wondered what he looked like since his face was wrapped in bandages. The doctors have placed him under an induced coma in order to let his body heal quicker.

(A flight nurse tending a wounded soldier, Wiki Commons)

Dear Diary:
Today my strange soldier woke up and we were able to ask him for his credentials.  He is of Native American origin, and I cannot spell his actual name, but he told me that it mean Sun in English.  One of the commanding officers spoke with him, and was able to track down his sister whose name happens to be Star.  She came at once and is now at his bedside attending to him.  From this time on I only periodically checked on Sun since Star took over his care.  I dedicated my time to the other severely injured soldiers, and didn’t say goodbye to Sun when he was discharged.

Dear Diary:
It has been quite some time since I have written to you, diary, and do I have so much to tell you!  A few months have passed since I wrote about the attack on the harbor, and majority of the soldiers have healed and left the island to fight in the war.  I have graduated from nursing school, but have remained at the hospital to tend for the remaining veterans.  Now here is some terrible news, diary.  Since graduation Father has demanded that I marry soon.  He has talked with many of his colleagues and suitors have begun visiting our home.  I would have nothing to do with these men, since none of them seemed to interest me. One day I came to work in a bitter mood, after a night of bad dates, when I ran into Star (she was volunteering at this time).  She asked me what was wrong, and I confided in her about my recent dilemma.  She told me that I should stay true to who I am, and not marry someone who I do not enjoy being around.  She then thanked me for all the care I provided to her brother, and we went our separate ways.  It was a strange encounter, because I hardly know her, but at the same time I am relieved that someone knows where I'm coming from. 

Dear Diary:
This time I have some wonderful news!  The string of dates continued after I had spoken to Star, but none of these men interested me and father was getting impatient. Today I came home from the hospital when Father told me he had a new suitor contact him.  I was very exhausted, and asked him if I could set up the date for another time.  He replied that this suitor was a solider that I had recently taken care of, who wanted to thank me for my kindness.  This immediately sparked my interest, and I accepted the date.  I anxiously waited all evening until I heard the doorbell ring.  When I opened the door to greet my guest, I was surprised to see it was Sun!  I didn't recognize him at first, since I never saw his face, but he quickly introduced himself and we went off on our date.  I have just arrive home, and I had to get this down at once.  Our date went wonderfully, and I hope that he asks me on another sometime soon. 

Dear Diary:
I am to be married soon, and I cannot be happier!  Sun is everything that the other men weren’t.  He could make me laugh and has a kind heart.  We have been on multiple dates since my last entry, and last night he proposed!  Our plan is to marry once the war is over, and we will move to his native land to have the ceremony.  I have never been more excited, and Father is happy that I have finally found a husband. 

Author’s Note:

This week I read the Native American Hero Tales unit of the Un-Textbook.  The story Dirty-Boy caught my eye, and I decided to take a different approach in my writing style.  Instead of trying to recreate the plot, I decided to come up with my own story and bring in some elements from the original.  In the Un-Texbook version the chief of a tribe wants his two daughters to marry, but they refuse any suitors.  One day Sun and Star, entities from the sky, visit the tribe to see if Sun could win their hand.  He disguises himself as a sickly man, and only one of the chooses to tend to him.  He eventually marries her, and this inspired my story.  I decided to use the story of a nurse falling in love with a soldier since it seems like sort of a classic to me.  I'm pretty sure one can figure out what time period and war had also inspired me, but I left out these details. I hope you enjoyed my version, and I look forward to comments!  

Bibliography:
Book title: Tales of the North American Indians 
Author: Stith Thompson
Year Published: 1929
Web Source: Sacred Texts

3 comments:

  1. Hey Liza! So first off, your title made me giggle and intrigued me. I think that you did an excellent job this week on really transforming the original story into something that is completely your own! The use of the diary entries allowed us readers to really feel as though we were directly in the story with your main character! Very fun! The whole story line made me think of the love story in the movie Pearl Harbor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was awesome, both your writing and the plot! I really like the diary format, as it showed what the main character thought about her situation. Also, I think it’s interesting that you retold the original, supernatural story in the classic soldier-nurse falling in love situation. It worked great here! And I’m glad they got together without any problems. I was expecting a bit of trouble from the father, but it’s great that he approved of his daughter’s choice and that she and Sun got married without a hitch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you used some of your medical knowledge here to tell your story, huh? I love it when people add their own passions into their storytelling assignments! The diary format is one of my favorites. I'm a sucker for epistolary stories so I'm glad you chose this style. I didn't read this story but it sounds really interesting so now I'm wondering if I should do Hero Tales for the next unit. Hmm...

    ReplyDelete